AVIF Image Support
AVIF is a new image format offering significant compression gains over other formats like JPEG and WebP. AVIF, short for AV1 Image File Format, is an advanced and highly efficient image format developed for the web. It is based on the AV1 video codec, which is famous for its superior compression efficiency. AVIF is specially created to store images and visual content in a way that significantly reduces file sizes without compromising image quality.
| Enable the Feature
|| User Site and Image Impact
| Related Settings
|| Benefits and Trade-offs
| Useful Resources
🔌 Enable the Feature
To enable this feature, navigate to WP Dashboard > Optimole.
Open the Settings tab.
Expand the Advanced accordion and open the Compression panel.
Use the toggle to enable the AVIF Image Support.
🚀 User Site and Image Impact
Using AVIF images on a website can have an important impact, mainly in terms of speed, user experience, and bandwidth usage. AVIF images are highly compressed without significant loss of quality. This means they are much smaller in size compared to other image formats like JPEG or PNG. While the exact savings will depend on the content, encoding settings, and quality target, you can see up to 50% savings vs. JPEG. Smaller image files lead to faster loading times for web pages, especially on slower internet connections or mobile devices.
While most modern browsers support AVIF, it's essential to implement fallback mechanisms for older browsers that do not support this format. This ensures that all users, regardless of their browser choice, have a seamless experience by receiving alternative image formats.
🔄 Benefits and Trade-offs
- Better User Experience - smaller AVIF images ensure that the website appears almost instantly.
- Reduced image file sizes - leading to faster loading times.
- Reduced data transfer - benefits users with limited bandwidth, making your site accessible to a wider audience.
- Browser compatibility - while major modern browsers support AVIF, older versions might not display these images correctly.
⚙️ Related Settings
One important thing to note is that this feature is somehow related to the Best Format feature, which automatically detects what is the most suitable image format and converts images. To make sure all your images have the AVIF format, you must toggle off the Best Format option.
- Automatic Best Image Format Selection - doc
You may find useful these guides:
- How to Use AVIF WordPress Images (Easy Method)
- AVIF vs WebP: Which Image Format Reigns Supreme in 2023?
Still looking for an answer? Contact us!