A Retina image is an image created specifically to look sharp on a Retina display. Retina screens, also known as HiDPI screens, feature a significantly higher pixel density compared to standard screens. Consequently, images must be twice their original size to ensure that everything appears crisp and well-defined on these high-resolution displays.
If you're using a Retina display and you observe that the images appear slightly blurry after optimization, it's advisable to activate this option. By enabling the "Retina images" feature, the images will be fine-tuned to display correctly on Retina screens.
| Enable the Feature
| User Site and Image Impact
| Related Settings
| Use Cases
| Benefits and Trade-offs
| Useful Resources
🔌 Enable the Feature
To enable this feature, navigate to WP Dashboard > Optimole.
Open the Settings tab.
Expand the Advanced accordion and open the Resize panel.
Use the toggle to enable the Retina Quality feature.
🚀 User Site and Image Impact
Enabling Retina Quality means your website pictures will be incredibly sharp, especially on high-quality screens like those in iPhones and some laptops. Every small detail, like patterns and lines, will appear very clear and impressive. Despite these high-quality images, your website will still load quickly. This feature ensures your site looks professional on advanced screens without slowing down, providing visitors with a great experience.
To see if your images are displayed in high quality with the Retina Images feature, open the image URL and look for the dpr:2.0 parameter. If you find this, it means you're serving Retina Images through Optimole.
📝 Note: You need to have our lazyload enabled for images to be optimized for retina displays.
🔄 Benefits and Trade-offs
- Increased credibility - websites with crisp, clear images project professionalism and credibility.
- Enhanced visual experience - high-quality visuals create a positive first impression, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Compatibility Issues - while most modern devices and browsers support Retina images, older devices or outdated browsers might struggle to render these high-resolution images properly.
🧩 Use Cases
- Mobile apps - mobile applications, especially those on iOS devices like iPhones and iPads, utilize Retina Images to ensure that app graphics, icons.
- Gaming interfaces - video game interfaces and graphics, especially in mobile gaming apps, leverage Retina Images to ensure that characters, landscapes, and in-game elements are displayed in intricate detail on Retina screens.
- Interactive web applications - web applications with interactive elements, such as online design tools or virtual tours.
⚙️ Related Settings
You may find useful these guides:
Still looking for an answer? Contact us!